Good evening everyone and a happy Easter to you all.
I do hope the holidays have been restful and fruitful for us all.Tonight I will be sharing on the topic:
The Understanding and Validation of Theories.
This topic is to help tie together all the previous sessions within the series and some sessions that may come after tonight’s session.
I would like us to to note that this session seeks to address a major concern and reality that educators, education professionals, teachers, instructors etc will have to contend with most especially due to the following facts;
- Education is dynamic.
- Learning evolves continuously.
- Systems enables approach.
- The need justifies the means.Going further we get to discover that theories are responsible for most practices today.
However we must realise with every theory comes the following:
5 Realities of Theories
5 Innovation1. Implications: looking at the diverse theories in existence, the choice and selection to the application of such theories bring about implications.
Our concern must first be deployed to the ‘right application’ of theories.
Our knowledge and demonstration of such knowledge go hand in hand.
Our destination however isn’t only at application but as educators we must seek to identify the implications of such theories a d its practices to all concerned.
We must be big on impact all the way.
I want us to realise that theories lead and also point us to impact touch points in the learning and academic process.
Theories places the demand for integration. At some point in the process of validation, we need to figure out or discover the place and use of integration.
Understanding and validating theories would use a great deal of intelligence especially in areas of application.
Theories feed on innovation also. The standards and principles are linked.
Educators must leverage these theories towards constant innovation.Getting started, Getting it Right:
Judging by the definition of the term ‘theory’, we realise that theories are intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles.
It is highly regarded as a set of principles on which practice of activity is based.
Our current reality:
There is indeed a surge and increase with comprehension and acceptance of a lot of theories in education.
Furthermore there is one major fact we need to measure and pay close attention to with regards to theories.
It is the aspect called the validation of theories.Theory Validation is a part of the scientific process of learning.
We as educators, teachers, I instructors must seek to prove and improve upon available, existing and applied theories.
Theories of education, learning and teaching are presented and verified differently in different methodologies.
This would lead us to an important aspect of this session.
I’d like to call it the Theory Commandments.
These are principles and laws that states instructions and preferred points and steps to take.Commandments:
- Identify the Perspective:
We must identify the perspectives.
The background knowledge of the perspectives and thoughts that led to the emergence of a theory must be known by practitioners, educators, and experts.
This is the reason that helps clarify the limits and boundaries available to the validity of the theory.
- Students are the Creators/Fiubdation of theories:
Discussions to improve student’s success, pedagogy must be centred on this truth and law.
The students are the foundation and hence creators of theories.
- The Future direction gives relevance to theories:
Our theories gain value based on the present direction our education, learning, development, Training or desired outcomes.
- Culture supercede & nullifies practices including theories.Championing our Realities:
We have huge responsibilities at our hands that will help the quality a d practice of education within our space.
- We need to research and review our Realities and prefer matching theories for recommended practice
- We need to exhibit more faith in our local practice, evidence and feedback
- We need to subject outcomes to questioning and more reviews/assessment
- We must share success stories as well as failed attempts.
- We must give ourselves to development at its core
- We need to fund ourselves and our growth to help establish, validate or unveil new theories or adopted theories.
- We need to desist from the copy and paste Culture. We need more adaptation tha adoption of practices and innovation.In conclusion I would encourage us to test the depth and core of our expertise, field of study and prove jew possibilities with open minds.
I hope this session has been helpful and useful to us all.
Once again thank you for the time and opportunity.
Happy Easter holiday to you all.
Rotimi Eyitayo.Tags: Cme, Cme WhatsApp platform, Eben, Lecture, ROTIMI EYITAYO